Built in 1871 by Forrest of Lime House in London at a cost of £472 from a legacy by Mr J.M. Smyth of Brompton, London and named after his daughter. The lifeboat was 40ft long with 10ft 7in beam, pulling and sailing with 10 oars and two masts carrying lug sails. It was also self righting. On station at The Fort in Wexford Harbour from13th of November 1871 until 1890.
The Ethel Eveleen's frst service 17th December 1874 in which 6 lives from a Dublin schooner were saved. Her last service was on 18th October to “The Star of Hope” a Wexford coal schooner, which had run aground on the Dogger Bank just outside Wexford Harbour. The crew was rescued and in time the Star of Hope was refloated and retured to service.
James Wickham, who would be come a lifeboat coxswain, started his career on the lifeboats on the Ethel Eveleen. He recounts his first serivce, taking part in the resuce of the Slaney, in the archives of Lifeboat Magazine.
In all the Ethel Eveleen was launched 31 times, saved 94 lives and two silver medals were awarded to Coxswain Marcus Boyle while leading her crew.
You can see a model of the Ethel Eveleen and a painting of her in action by Brian Cleare at the Rosslare Harbour Maritime Heritage Centre